This is the index page for the Il-2 Modeling Bible. It should be part of a large .zip format file containing a number of .html files, and the following folders:
- 1C-Maddox models with sub-folders Bf 109F-2 Cockpit and Il-2 External. These folders contain examples of meshes used in the Il-2 series.
- 3rd-Party work contains copies of 3rd-party work generously allowed for inclusion by independent modelers.
- Guides contains copies of the old 1C:Maddox Games modeling guide from late 2000 in .mht format, and a "Cockpit FAQ" compiled in late 2001.
- "images" contains images used by the Modeling Bible's .html pages.
- "menu" contais the .js files used by the DHTML menu at the tops of all pages.
- Plug-Ins, with sub-folders MAX 3, MAX 4, and MAX 5, contains plug-ins used by Discreet's 3DS MAX (see Software page for descriptions).
This "Modeling Bible" aims to collect in one place all available information on 3rd-party 3D modeling for 1C:Maddox Games' Il-2 Sturmovik: Forgotten Battles flight simulator, published by Ubisoft Entertainment. It was compiled beginning in late November 2003, in response to requests for more information from new modelers following the demise of the first iteration of Il-2 Center and the move of the modeling community to Netwings. Although Forgotten Battles is nearing the end of its lifetime as a product, and new models will probably not be accepted for integration into FB after mid-2004, this information will hopefully serve as a useful basis for modeling add-ons to future 1C:Maddox Games projects. The model system used in Il-2: FB is anticipated to be carried over, in some form or another, into FB add-ons, Battle of Britian, and its successors.
Navigate from the menu at the top; menu items are individual subject areas. Menu choices are:
- Index is this index page.
- Externals contains sub-menu items which give a full description of the Il-2: FB External Aircraft Model.
- Cockpits is a short description of the requirements and constraints for modeling an aircraft cockpit in Il-2: FB.
- Ordnance collects known information about modeling ordnance.
- Surface Objects describes what is known aboult building objects like ships, vehicles, and buildings.
- Markings is an overview of the Il-2 markings system, and how to build markings if necessary.
- Software describes the various packages and plug-ins necessary for Il-2: FB modeling.
- References is an essay on the most important part of building an Il-2: FB model.
- History is a short overview of the history of the Il-2 community, as witnessed by the author.
- Community is a roster of some of the more well-known personalities in the 3rd-party modeling community.
- Disclaimer is the obligatory legalese.
Please visit and read the Disclaimer before continuing.
2003.11.19 Beta version; early release of MB to assist modelers.
2003.12.02 "Beta patch", fixing a flaw in the DHTML menu to reference relative location instead of absolute files on the author's hard drive.
2003.12.20 First release version.